Saint NameSaints, name lost or very partially preserved : S01744
Saints, unnamed : S00518
Martyrs, unnamed or name lost : S00060
Type of EvidenceInscriptions - Funerary inscriptions
Evidence not before350
Evidence not after400
Activity not before350
Activity not after400
Place of Evidence - RegionRome and region
Place of Evidence - City, village, etcSuburban catacombs and cemeteries
Place of evidence - City name in other Language(s)Suburban catacombs and cemeteries
Cult activities - PlacesBurial site of a saint - crypt/ crypt with relics
Cult activities - Non Liturgical Practices and CustomsBurial ad sanctos
Cult Activities - RelicsUnspecified relic
Bodily relic - unspecified
Bodily relic - entire body
SourceRight-hand fragment of a marble plaque. H. 21 cm, W. 22 cm. Letter height 2-3 cm. The plaque was found in the Cemetery of Priscilla in 1804 by Ponzetti. Later offered to the Vatican Museums by Giovanni Battista de Rossi where it is kept in the Galleria Lapidaria.
Antonio Ferrua expressed serious doubts whether the inscription could be considered as Christian. Eventually, he included it in the ICVR VIII as it was lacking the Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum.
DiscussionDating: The editors of the Epigraphic Database Bari date the inscription to the first half of the fourth century. Ferrua dated it to the third century and presented as a possibly pagan text.
Epigraphic Database Bari, no. EDB35217.
De Rossi, G.B., Ferrua, A. (eds.) Inscriptiones Christianae Urbis Romae Septimo Saeculo Antiquiores, n.s., vol. 8: Coemeteria viarum Nomentanae et Salariae (Vatican: Pont. Institutum Archaeologiae Christianae, 1983), no. 23356 (with further bibliography).