Saint NameSaints, name lost or very partially preserved : S01744
Saints, unnamed : S00518
Martyrs, unnamed or name lost : S00060
Saint Name in Sourcesancti
Type of EvidenceInscriptions - Funerary inscriptions
Evidence not before200
Evidence not after300
Activity not before200
Activity not after300
Place of Evidence - RegionRome and region
Place of Evidence - City, village, etcSuburban catacombs and cemeteries
Place of evidence - City name in other Language(s)Suburban catacombs and cemeteries
Cult activities - PlacesBurial site of a saint - tomb/grave
Cult activities - Non Liturgical Practices and CustomsPrayer/supplication/invocation
Cult Activities - Protagonists in Cult and NarrativesOther lay individuals/ people
SourceLeft-hand fragment of a marble plaque. Preserved dimensions: H. 28 cm, W. 56 cm, Th. 2 cm. Letter height 4.5 cm. A large left-hand margin is preserved, carrying a depiction of Daniel, an Old Testament character, flanked by two lions.
The stone was offered to the Lateran Museums in 1929, reportedly as a find from the via Nomentana. Later deposited in the Museo Pio Cristiano, in the Vatican. Ferrua points out that the shape of the letters supports this claim, as they are of the 'ostrian' type, common in high quality epitaphs of the via Nomentana cemeteries.
DiscussionFerrua offers two interpretations of this text. Line 1 could contain the name of the deceased, e.g. Sancti[an]u[s]. Alternatively, this could be a reference to some Five martyrs, for example sancti V [martyres], but Ferrua does not develop on their possible identity.
The editors of the Epigraphic Database Bari dates the inscription to the third century.
Epigraphic Database Bari, no. EDB41612.
De Rossi, G.B., Ferrua, A. (eds.) Inscriptiones Christianae Urbis Romae Septimo Saeculo Antiquiores, n.s., vol. 8: Coemeteria viarum Nomentanae et Salariae (Vatican: Pont. Institutum Archaeologiae Christianae, 1983), no. 23025 (with further bibliography).
Ferrua, A., "Incrementi epigrafici nel Museo Vaticano Pio Cristiano (1934-1970)", Rendiconti della Pontificia Accademia Romana di Archeologia 46 (1974), 155 and fig. 19.