Saint NameSaints, unnamed : S00518
Martyrs, unnamed or name lost : S00060
Saint Name in Sourcesanti
Image Caption 1From: ICVR, n.s., VI, 79 (after a drawing by de Rossi).
Image Caption 2From: Fabretti 1699, 557.
Image Caption 3From: Iozzi 1904, 50.
Type of EvidenceInscriptions - Funerary inscriptions
Archaeological and architectural - Internal cult fixtures (crypts, ciboria, etc.)
Evidence not before325
Evidence not after400
Activity not before325
Activity not after400
Place of Evidence - RegionRome and region
Place of Evidence - City, village, etcSuburban catacombs and cemeteries
Place of evidence - City name in other Language(s)Suburban catacombs and cemeteries
Cult activities - PlacesBurial site of a saint - crypt/ crypt with relics
Cult activities - Non Liturgical Practices and CustomsBurial ad sanctos
Cult Activities - Protagonists in Cult and NarrativesChildren
Other lay individuals/ people
SourceMarble plaque. H. 0.25 m; W. 0.79 m; Th. 0.015 m. Letter height 0.02 m. Decorated with carvings of a tree flanked by a bird and a bunch of grapes, over the text. Lining between the lines of letters.
The inscription was first published in 1699 by Rafaelle Fabretti who wrote that the stone was retrieved from the cemetery of Castulus on the via Labicana, Rome, and added to his family's collection of antiquities in Urbino. Handwritten records of the inscription are also preserved in the archives of Luigi Gaetano Marini and Giovanni Battista de Rossi. Marini noted that when he saw it the stone was housed in the lapidarium of the Palazzo Ducale of Urbino. De Rossi offered a drawing, later reproduced by Antonio Ferrua. A drawing of very poor quality was also offered in 1904 by Oliviero Iozzi. He notes, based on Fabretti’s manuscripts, that the stone was reportedly located ‘in atrio, sub aquaeductu’. In 1927 Ernst Diehl included the inscription in his collection of Christian Latin inscriptions, after the edition by Fabretti. In 1975 Antonio Ferrua offered a corrected text, and noted that the stone was still on display in the Palazzo Ducale of Urbino.
Good quality photographs are now offered in the Epigraphic Database Bari.
DiscussionThe inscription is the epitaph for a girl (Clementianetis?) who lived for six years-and-a-half years. Her parents record that they buried her 'in peace, with saints'. It is not clear whether they meant an intentional burial ad sanctos, meant to help the girl in the afterlife or on the day of the resurrection, or just recorded that she lay in a cemetery where tombs of saints were located, or perhaps referred to the heavenly community of saints.
Dating: Carlo Carletti in EDB dates the inscription to the 4th c.
Epigraphic Database Bari, nos. EDB6074, see http://www.edb.uniba.it/epigraph/6074
De Rossi, G.B., Ferrua, A. (eds.), Inscriptiones Christianae Urbis Romae Septimo Saeculo Antiquiores, n.s., vol. 6: Coemeteria viis Latina, Labicana et Praenestina (Vatican: Pont. Institutum Archaeologiae Christianae, 1975), no. 15900.
Diehl, E., Inscriptiones Latinae Christianae Veteres, vol. 2 (Berlin: Apud Weidmannos, 1927), no. 3358.
Iozzi, O., Il cimitero di S. Castolo M. : sulla via Labicana a un miglio da Porta maggiore (Rome: Tipografia Agostiniana, 1904), 50, no. XVIII, ad Tav. XVIII.
Fabretti, R., Inscriptionum antiquarum quae in aedibus paternis asseruantur explicatio et additamentum (Rome: Ex officina Dominici Antonii Herculis, 1699), 557, no. XXVIII.