Saint NameSaints, unnamed or name lost : S00518
Saint Name in Sourceοἱ ἅγιοι
Image Caption 1Block A, photograph. From: Zäh 2000, 119.
Image Caption 2Block A, drawing. From: Zäh 2000, 118.
Image Caption 3Block B, photograph. From: Zäh 2000, 119.
Image Caption 4Block B, drawing. From: Zäh 2000, 118.
Image Caption 5Block C, photograph. From: Zäh 2000, 119.
Image Caption 6Block C, drawing. From: Zäh 2000, 119.
Image Caption 7Block B, drawing. From: Maiuri 1921-1922, 476.
Image Caption 8Plan of Basilica II. From: Zäh 2000, 116.
Type of EvidenceInscriptions - Formal inscriptions (stone, mosaic, etc.)
Archaeological and architectural - Cult buildings (churches, mausolea)
Evidence not before400
Evidence not after600
Activity not before400
Activity not after600
Place of Evidence - RegionAsia Minor
Place of Evidence - City, village, etcBargylia
Place of evidence - City name in other Language(s)Bargylia
Cult activities - PlacesCult building - independent (church)
Cult activities - Non Liturgical Practices and CustomsVow
Cult Activities - Protagonists in Cult and NarrativesWomen
Other lay individuals/ people
SourceThe inscription is carved on three reused architrave blocks (A-C), over an earlier erased inscription. Dimensions of each block: H. 0.35 m; W. 2.32-2.37 m; letter height 0.08-0.09 m. The blocks come from the ruins of a three-aisled basilica at Bargylia (Basilica II). Above the inscription there is a relief showing maritime scenes with fish, and sea monsters.
Blocks A and B were first published in the mid-19th c. by Philippe Le Bas. In 1921 Block B was rediscovered by Amedeo Maiuri, who published it as ineditum. This mistake was recognised by Louis Robert (1937). The two blocks were republished by Wolfgang Blümel in his corpus of the inscriptions of Iasos (a major city sited close to Bargylia) in 1985. Block C, which bears a dedication to saints, and is therefore important for our project, was published only in 2000 by Alexander Zäh who found it during his surveys of Caria. Zäh also revisited Blocks A and B, and plausibly identified the text from Block C as part of the same inscription. When recorded by Zäh, Block A was partly damaged.
DiscussionThe inscription commemorates a donation to God and the saints as a vow for the salvation of the donor's family, and, at the same in gratitude for grace already received. Zäh plausibly argues that the unnamed benefactor probably paid for one wall of the church rather than founded the entire building, as the inscription names the object of the donation a 'wall' (toichos).
Zäh originally interpreted the last word in line 2, εὐχαριστων, as an epithet of the members of the benefactor's household (G. pl.: εὐχαρίστων/'dear'). Pleket in his comments in the SEG rightly points out that this is a participle (N. sing.: εὐχαριστῶν/'giving thanks') which belongs to the new sentence carved on Block C. For a similar dedication, see E00792.
Zäh, A., "Die Stiftung der oberen Basilika von Bargylia", Epigraphica Anatolica 34 (2002), 117-118 (Fragments A-C).
Zäh, A., "Un'iscrizione de fondazione tardoantica dalla basilica superiore di Bargylia (Turchia)", Quaderni friulani di archeologia 10 (2000), 113-123 (Blocks A-C).
Blümel, W., Die Inschriften von Iasos, vol. 2 (Inschriften griechischer Städte aus Kleinasien 28, Bonn : R. Habelt, 1985), no. 638 (Blocks A-B, after LBW).
Maiuri, A., "Viaggio di esplorazione in Caria (Parte III)", Annuario della Regia Scuola archeologica di Atene e delle missioni italiane in Oriente 4/5 (1921/1922), 476, no. 24 (Block B).
LBW, no. 491 (Blocks A-B).
Robert, L., Études anatoliennes: recherches sur les inscriptions grecques de l'Asie mineure (Paris: Boccard, 1937), 455, note 1.
SEG 4, 204; 52, 1040.