File(s) not publicly available

E04261: Coptic land lease document from Hermopolis (Middle Egpyt), mentioning a church dedicated to *Michael (the Archangel, S00181) as part of the property; datable to the 7th century.

online resource
posted on 30.10.2017, 00:00 by gschenke
P.Ryl.Copt. 158

In this lengthy, yet fragmentary document, a woman from Hermopolis is leasing out land to a man belonging to a nearby hamlet, setting out the further particulars of the arrangement and mentioning a quarter of a church dedicated to the Archangel Michael.

Line 22 reads as follows:

ⲙⲛ ⲡⲧⲉⲧⲁⲣⲧⲟⲛ ⲙⲉⲣⲟⲥ ϩⲛ ⲧⲉⲕⲕⲗⲏⲥⲓⲁ ⲉⲩⲙⲟⲩⲧⲉ ⲉⲣⲟⲥ ϫⲉ ⲡⲁⲣⲭⲉⲁⲅⲅⲉⲗⲟⲥ ⲙⲏⲭⲁⲏⲗ

‘… and the fourth part of the church called “The Archangel Michael”, …’


(Text and trans.: W. E. Crum)

History

Evidence ID

E04261

Saint Name

Michael, the Archangel : S00181

Saint Name in Source

ⲡⲁⲣⲭⲉⲁⲅⲅⲉⲗⲟⲥ ⲙⲏⲭⲁⲏⲗ

Type of Evidence

Late antique original manuscripts - Papyrus sheet Documentary texts - Lease or rental document

Language

Coptic

Evidence not before

600

Evidence not after

699

Activity not before

600

Activity not after

699

Place of Evidence - Region

Egypt and Cyrenaica

Place of Evidence - City, village, etc

Hermopolis

Place of evidence - City name in other Language(s)

Hermopolis Hermopolis ϣⲙⲟⲩⲛ Ashmunein Hermopolis

Cult activities - Places

Cult building - independent (church)

Source

The papyrus document is housed at the collection of the John Rylands Library in Manchester. The dating is on palaeographical grounds.

Bibliography

Text and translation: Crum, W.E., Catalogue of the Coptic Manuscripts in the Collection of the John Rylands Library (Manchester, 1909), 80–83.

Usage metrics

Categories

Keywords

Licence

Exports