File(s) not publicly available

E04121: Lead plaque with an image of *Mary (Mother of Christ, S00033) labelled in Greek. Found in the monastery on Tell Iztabba at Beit She'an/Skythopolis (Roman province of Palaestina II). Probably second half of the 6th/first half of the 7th c.

online resource
posted on 08.10.2017, 00:00 by pnowakowski
Small rectangular lead plaque, probably with a loop on its top edge. Presumably meant to be worn around the neck. Found in 1930 in Room L, in the north section of the monastery on Tell Iztabba. Dimensions c. 2 cm x 3 cm. First published in 1931 by Gerald Milnes Fitzgerald with a photograph of the obverse. Photographs of both sides, and transcriptions, were published by Fitzgerald in 1939.

obverse: standing male figure with nimbus. His right hand is raised in the act of blessing. In his left hand he is holding a book. The editor suggests that the figure is trampling a snake, but this is not clear in the photograph. Label: Ἐμμανουὴλ μεθ' ἡμῶν/'Emmanuel. God is with us!'. This is certainly an image of Christ. The inscription is a reminiscence of a passage from the Gospel according to Matthew: καὶ καλέσουσιν τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ Ἐμμανουήλ· ὅ ἐστιν μεθερμηνευόμενον 'Μεθ’ ἡμῶν ὁ θεός' / 'They shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us' (Matthew 1,23, cf. Psalm 46,7; Is. 7,14).

reverse: standing female figure in the orant posture, with nimbus. Label: ἡ ἁγία Μαρία/'Holy Mary'. This is certainly Mary, Mother of Christ.
Evidence -  The Cult of Saints in Late Antiquity

Categories

Keywords

History

Evidence ID

E04121

Saint Name

Mary, Mother of Christ : S00033

Saint Name in Source

Μαρία

Type of Evidence

Inscriptions - Inscribed objects Images and objects - Other portable objects (metalwork, ivory, etc.)

Language

Greek

Evidence not before

500

Evidence not after

636

Activity not before

500

Activity not after

636

Place of Evidence - Region

Palestine with Sinai

Place of Evidence - City, village, etc

Skythopolis

Place of evidence - City name in other Language(s)

Skythopolis Caesarea Maritima Καισάρεια Kaisareia Caesarea Kayseri Turris Stratonis

Cult activities - Use of Images

  • Private ownership of an image

Cult Activities - Cult Related Objects

Other

Source

The monastery on Tell Iztabba at Beit She'an/Skythopolis, sometimes termed the monastery 'of Lady Maria' after a woman who built there at least one chapel, was excavated in 1930 by Gerald Milnes Fitzgerald, on behalf of the University of Pennsylvania. For a description, see comments to E4120.

Discussion

Dating: The site is broadly datable to the 6th/early 7th c., based on the contents of mosaic inscriptions. The excavators presumed that the monastery was occupied up to the Arab conquest of the region (AD 636), and, therefore, small objects found on the site, are likely to be deposits of the 6th or early 7th c.

Bibliography

Edition: Fitzgerald, G.M., A sixth century monastery at Beth Shan (Skythopolis) (Philadelphia: Pub. for the University museum by the University of Pennsylvania Press, 1939), 11 and Plate IV. Fitzgerald, G.M., "Excavations at Beth-Shan in 1930", Palestine Exploration Fund Quarterly Statement (1931), 68 and Plate VI. Further reading: Meimaris, Y., Sacred names, saints, martyrs and church officials in the Greek inscriptions and papyri pertaining to the Christian Church of Palestine (Athens: National Hellenic Research Foundation, Center for Greek and Roman Antiquity, 1986), 82, no. 519. Tsafrir, Y., Foerster, G., "Urbanism at Scythopolis-Bet Shean in the Fourth to Seventh Centuries", Dumbarton Oaks Papers 51 (1997), 104.

Licence

Exports

Evidence -  The Cult of Saints in Late Antiquity

Categories

Keywords

Licence

Exports