E02857_1.jpg (36.16 kB)

E02857: Greek inscription, once wrongly thought to have mentioned a Christian orphanage affiliated with a church of *Mary (Mother of Christ, S00033). Found at Caesarea Maritima (Roman Province of Palaestina I). Probably 5th - mid-7th c.

Download (36.16 kB)
online resource
posted on 28.05.2017, 00:00 by pnowakowski
The inscription was first published by Joseph Germer-Durand in 1895. This scholar, however, did not make a proper copy but reproduced the text from memory (the present lines 2 and 4). Based on this 'transcription' Raphaël Savignac and Charles Clermont-Ganneau argued for the existence of an orphanage affiliated to a church of Mary in Caesarea, as they restored the lines as follows τῇ ἁγιω[τάτῃ Θεοτόκῳ (?)] | ἤτοι τῷ εὐ[κτηρίῳ] | ὀρφαν(ο)τροφίῳ/'to the most holy [God-Bearer (Theotokos)], or the [oratory], the orphanage' (see Clermont-Ganneau 1905, 209: 'Si les restitutions que j'indique sous réserves sont exactes, cet asile d'orphelins aurait été placé sous l'invocation de la Vierge.').

Kenneth Holum and Clayton Lehmann in 2000, in their corpus of inscriptions of Caesarea, rightly noted that the restoration of the name of Mary in the lacuna is unjustified. Walter Ameling in the Corpus Inscriptionum Iudaeae/Palaestinae (2012) plausibly suggests that the inscription could refer simply to 'the most holy church'/'τῇ ἁγω[τάτῃ ἐκκλησίᾳ]'. In her comments in Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum to Ameling's edition, Leah Di Segni suggested that the whole inscription might have read: + ̣θ̣ή̣κ̣η [διαφέρουσα] | τῇ ἁγιω|[τάτῃ ἐκκλησίᾳ] | ἤτοι τῷ εὐαγ[εῖ - - -] | ὀρφαν<ο>τροφίῳ [vacat?]/ '+ A (collective) tomb [belonging] to the most holy [church (of Caesarea?)], or the reverend [- - -] orphanage.'

History

Evidence ID

E02857

Saint Name

Mary, Mother of Christ : S00033

Image Caption 1

Photograph by Nili and Abraham Graicer. From: CIIP 2, 93.

Type of Evidence

Inscriptions - Formal inscriptions (stone, mosaic, etc.) Inscriptions - Funerary inscriptions

Language

Greek

Evidence not before

400

Evidence not after

650

Activity not before

400

Activity not after

650

Place of Evidence - Region

Palestine with Sinai

Place of Evidence - City, village, etc

Caesarea Maritima

Place of evidence - City name in other Language(s)

Caesarea Maritima Caesarea Maritima Καισάρεια Kaisareia Caesarea Kayseri Turris Stratonis

Cult activities - Places

Cult building - independent (church)

Cult activities - Places Named after Saint

  • Hospital and other charitable institutions

Source

Lower left hand corner of a marble slab with large margins. Letter height c. 0.05 m. Fine carving. Now in the Museum of the Studium Biblicum Franciscanum in Jerusalem. Photographed by Nili and Abraham Graicer.

Bibliography

Edition: Ameling, W., Cotton, H.M., Eck, W., and others, Corpus inscriptionum Iudaeae/Palaestinae: A Multi-Lingual Corpus of the Inscriptions from Alexander to Muhammad, vol. 2: Caesarea and the Middle Coast 1121-2160 (Berlin, Boston: De Gruyter, 2011), no. 1168 (with further bibliography). Lehmann, C.M., and Holum, K.G., The Greek and Latin Inscriptions of Caesarea Maritima (The Joint Expedition to Caesarea Maritima Excavation Reports 5; Boston, Mass.: The American Schools of Oriental Research, 2000), no. 65. Piccirillo, M., Studium Biblicum Franciscanum. Jerusalem, Museum (SBF, Museum 6, Jerusalem: SBF, 1983), 133-134. Mentzou-Meimaris, K., "", Byzantina 11 (1982), 287-288. Clermont-Ganneau, Ch., "Fiches et notules", Recueil d'archéologie orientale 6 (1905), 209. Savignac, R., "", La Revue biblique 13 (1904), 83, no. 4. Germer-Durnad, J., "", La Revue biblique 4 (1895), 76. Reference works: Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum 61, 1168.

Usage metrics

Evidence -  The Cult of Saints in Late Antiquity

Categories

Keywords

Licence

Exports