Saint NameUnnamed saints (or name lost) : S00518
Saint Name in Sourceἅγιοι
Type of EvidenceInscriptions - Funerary inscriptions
Evidence not before324
Evidence not after450
Activity not before324
Activity not after450
Place of Evidence - RegionAsia Minor
Place of Evidence - City, village, etcNicomedia
Place of evidence - City name in other Language(s)Nicomedia
Cult activities - Non Liturgical Practices and CustomsPrayer/supplication/invocation
Cult Activities - MiraclesSaint aiding or preventing the construction of a cult building
Cult Activities - Protagonists in Cult and NarrativesOfficials
SourceA red stone plaque, broken on all sides. Preserved dimensions: H. 0.45 m; W. 0.245 m; letter height 0.02 m. Found at Nikomedia. Once kept at the former Russian Archaeological Institute of Constantinople. Now lost. First published by P. Pogodin and O. Wulff in 1897.
DiscussionThe inscription commemorates the restoration of an unspecified property (κτῆμα) by Flavios Theodoulos, a municipal official. Karl Dörner supposed that the word κτῆμα was used here to designate a tomb (μνῆμα).
The inscription ends with a closing prayer: Ἐμμανουὴλ· | εὐχε͂ς τõν ἁγί[ον] | καὶ ὁσίον, that can be translated in two ways. If the first part of the phrase is simply an acclamation of Christ, the second part may be understood separately and refer to, for example, the restoration completed 'by the intercession of saints and the blessed ones'. However, it is also possible that the name Ἐμμανουὴλ is to be taken literally and the phrase should be translated: 'God is with us by the intercession of saints and the blessed ones'.
For a similar formula, referring to the 'prayers of saints', see: E01355.
Dating: 4th or 5th c. (based on the use of the term phyle and grammateus, a classic municipal office, both rarely attested after the 5th c.).
Dörner, K. F. (ed.), Tituli Asiae Minoris, IV. Tituli Bithyniae linguis Graeca et Latina conscripti, 1. Paeninsula Bithynica praeter Chalcedonem. Nicomedia et ager Nicomedensis cum septentrionali meridianoque litore sinus Astaceni et cum lacu Sumonensi(Vienna: Apud Academiam Scientiarum Austriacam, 1978), no. 366.
Pogodin, P., Wulff. O., "Nikomidiya", Izvestiya russkago arkheologicheskago institutα v Konstantinopole 2 (1897), 85.